Wills, Testamentary Trusts, Decedents Estates & Conservatorships

Select your topic of interest below:

Last Will and Testament

The surviving spouse of a married person who dies without a Will has statutory rights to some or all of the decedent’s estate, while the surviving spouse of a decedent who dies leaving a Will which leaves the estate to a person or persons other than such spouse has the right to a life use of one third of the estate. There are also provisions for interim support for married spouses while a estate is being settled, including financial advances from the estate, and the ability for the married spouse to remain in the decedent’s home.

If a decedent dies without a Will the probate court has jurisdiction to grant the power for someone to administer the estate. Connecticut lists those to whom such a right can be granted. They include:

  • (A) The surviving spouse,
  • (B) any child of the decedent or any guardian of such child as the court shall determine,
  • (C) any grandchild of the decedent or any guardian of such grandchild as the court shall determine,
  • (D) the decedent’s parents,
  • (E) any brother or sister of the decedent,
  • (F) the next of kin entitled to share in the estate.

If you wish to have control over the distribution of your probate estate upon your death, you should consult a licensed attorney about drafting a Will.

Back to top.

Testamentary Trusts

A Testamentary Trust can be an effective and efficient way to provide for your minor children — or other loved ones who are unable to care for themselves –after your death. The language for the Testamentary Trust is included in your Last Will and Testament and the actual Trust is created upon your death. You may change the terms of a Testamentary Trust at any moment during your lifetime; in fact, you may even choose to remove it from your Will. However, upon your death, a Testamentary Trust becomes irrevocable.

A Testamentary Trust may be drafted in many different ways. For example, if you have young children, you might direct that upon your death (assuming your spouse is also deceased) your home and personal property are sold and the proceeds shall go into the Trust to benefit your minor children. You name a person you trust implicitly to manage the funds in that Trust. In this way, your children’s needs are taken care of financially.

Another possibility is to draft a Testamentary Trust to benefit a sibling, for example, who has a mental illness or who is a hard-core substance abuser. Leaving your money or property outright to that sibling would be counter-productive due to their inability to properly manage funds. Instead, you would name a person to serve as Trustee and that person would manage the funds that would provide proper care for your sibling.

Testamentary Trusts may be as simple or as complex as your personal needs and circumstances warrant.

Back to top.

Decedent’s Estates

The term “decedent” refers to a person who has died. Whether a person dies with a Will (testate) or without a Will (intestate), the settlement of the decedent’s estate comes under the jurisdiction of the Probate Court in the town in which the decedent last resided.

If a decedent has left a Will, he or she has likely named an executor/executrix, who will have the responsibility of administration of the decedent’s estate. If the decedent has not left a Will, the Probate Court will appoint a person to serve as administrator/administratrix of the decedent’s estate. Either way, there are specific procedures that must be followed for the administration of a decedent’s estate. A Connecticut probate lawyer at the Law Offices of Gryk & Frolich, LLC may be able to assist you in that process.

If you are the executor/executrix named in a decedent’s will or if you wish to probate the estate of a person who has died without a will, The Law Offices of Gryk & Frolich, LLC may be able to assist you in handling the decedent’s estate.

Back to top.


A conservator is someone who is appointed by the Probate Court to manage the personal and/or financial affairs of an individual who has become incapable of handling such matters. A Conservator of the Person manages an incapable individual’s personal needs, such as housing, food, clothing, medical needs and other related matters. A Conservator of the Estate manages an incapable individual’s financial affairs and assets so that no “waste” occurs.

There are two categories of conservators: voluntary and involuntary.

An individual who has not been deemed by the Probate Court to be legally incapable may petition the Court to appoint a Voluntary Conservator of the Person and/or Estate. For example, a person who suffers from vision loss may need assistance in paying monthly bills. Such a person may want the assistance of a conservator to manage his or her affairs. There are a variety of reasons a person may request a voluntary conservator: for example, an elderly person who requires assistance but does not have immediate family in the local area may need regular assistance with paying bills and managing daily living needs. A person with no surviving family members — or one with family members he/she does not trust — may wish to request the services of a conservator.

If a person is diagnosed by his/her physician with a memory impairment condition such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease — or by his/her psychiatrist to be suffering from a mental disorder such as schizophrenia — the services of a conservator may be required. Under such circumstances, when the individual is incapable of caring for and speaking for himself or herself, a petition for an Involuntary Conservator may be filed with the probate court for the appointment of a conservator of the person and/or estate.

For more information on the role of a conservator or to request the services of a Connecticut conservator, please contact the Law Offices of Gryk & Frolich, LLC in Manchester.

Please click on the links below to explore other Probate areas of interest to you:

Client Reviews
I have used Evelyn Gryk Frolich as my lawyer for several years now. From my divorce to a will before cancer treatments. She went above and beyond for me. She is a highly professional and knowledgeable lawyer. She can look two steps ahead and figure out what to do before you even know it will happen. I would highly recommend her and her firm to anyone who is looking for a lawyer who will fight for you and what you need, and get the job done well. Pam
Attorney Frolich is widely respected for her understanding of family law and strong advocacy on behalf of clients. She has a great deal of experience in many areas of the law but particularly in matters related to family law. Attorney Frolich is an experienced litigator and has a depth of knowledge regarding court procedures. She also appreciates the value of a collaborative approach to a reasonable settlement, whenever that is possible. Atty. Virginia Street
Evelyn has been very helpful on numerous occasions during the past several years, as my attorney and legal consultant for my family law case. She provides realistic and balanced advice regarding how to effectively handle complex situations. Jessica S.